New release includes a series of breakthroughs and industry firsts for leading rapid application development platform
BOSTON – October 1, 2015 – Mendix, a leader in digital innovation, today announced the launch of Mendix 6, a comprehensive enhancement to the industry’s most open and scalable platform for rapid development of digital applications. Highlights include support for offline functionality in mobile applications, and a Model API and open source Platform SDK offering enhanced import and export of application models.
“To succeed in today’s fast-moving, competitive marketplace, companies need to create a digital enterprise that’s connected, intelligent, adaptive and always on,” said Derek Roos, Mendix’s CEO and co-founder. “The Mendix 6 platform provides the foundation for the digital enterprise of today and beyond, offering rapid development teams an unprecedented level of flexibility, scalability and usability.”
“In order to increase our business agility, we are executing a strategic program to rationalize and simplify our existing application landscape and drive rapid innovation in close collaboration with our business stakeholders,” said Jan Paul Buijs, Manager CIO Office of Enexis. “Using Mendix’s model-driven development platform, we’ve been able to accelerate our transformation and reduce lead time of application initiatives significantly. In our Rapid Product Development Factory, we are able to drive 10-15 initiatives in parallel. We look forward to leveraging new innovations in the platform as we continue to adapt to changing conditions and business needs.”
Offline Mobile Support
Mendix is the first in the industry to offer out-of-the-box, offline mobile support across platforms and devices through a model-driven rapid mobile app development approach. Without any code, rapid developers can build mobile applications that make use of static resource storage, read access to data, and data entry caching to maintain consistency of user experience and performance even when disconnected or offline.
Open Platform, Open Innovation
In another first, the Mendix 6 Model API and open source Platform SDK take platform openness and application portability to a new level. Benefits include:
- Eliminating Vendor Lock-in – with the new model exchange functionality, application models can be easily exported for documentation purposes, or to port applications to other platforms, increasing transparency and eliminating lock-in concerns
- Legacy migration and modernization – model import capabilities support automated cloud migration of legacy applications, allowing organizations to accelerate application modernization at massive scale
- Quality assurance – new API’s allow static analysis on application models to check for inconsistencies, ensure quality standards, and improve maintainability
- Task automation – scripts automate bulk tasks, such as reformatting flow or changing certain parameters and activities across multiple models, saving time and ensuring consistency
Other innovations announced today include the following:
- Resilient Applications on Cloud Foundry – Customers deploying Mendix applications on Cloud Foundry benefit from out-of-the-box resilience services, simplifying configuration for high availability, failover, and scalability
- Mendix on AWS – Mendix is available in Amazon Web Services Marketplace (AWS Marketplace). Customers can run Mendix using their existing AWS corporate account and leverage the services in their plan. In addition, the Mendix Free Edition and Developer Sandboxes now run on AWS
- Responsive UI Framework – General availability of the Mendix UI Framework offers comprehensive themes, navigation layouts, page templates, and design elements for more easily building responsive multi-channel apps
- Digital Transformation Practice – A new dedicated team of Mendix innovation experts will help customers define and execute plans to achieve their digital goals. Leveraging the company’s vast experience, and working closely with partners, the Mendix Digital Transformation Practice will offer thought-leading content, workshops, and custom research to help customers define their digital vision and strategy, assess their innovation needs and current situation, and adapt people, process, and technology platforms to increase the velocity of change.