Do You Need a Hybrid Mobile App?
Deciding between native, web, and hybrid mobile apps can be difficult. But there’s a solution for every scenario, based on how your app will be used. Consider the questions below to help understand when a mobile application development platform can help you build hybrid mobile apps.
- What platform(s) will your app run on? If your mobile app will run across multiple platforms (including Apple, Android, Windows, etc.), you’ll save time by building a web or hybrid app. With this approach, you build once (leveraging common development languages) and then publish your app across multiple platforms. Alternatively, native apps require unique programming across each platform (ex. Objective C for iOS and Java for Android).
- Will your app be distributed via App Stores? If you wish to distribute your app via an app store, you’ll need to create a mobile app rather than a mobile optimized (RWD) web application which is available from the device web browser.
- Do you need to call any native device features? If you wish to utilize device features like the camera or GPS, you’ll need to build a native or hybrid mobile app. A web application cannot access device features easily.
Build Your Hybrid Mobile Apps with Mendix
Mendix’s application platform abstracts away from technical details, including infrastructure, provisioning, code development, and app management components. This speeds the delivery of mobile apps that work seamlessly across devices and platforms and integrates with other back-end systems and processes. Also known as mobile application development platforms, these platforms offer a host of features to help achieve a near-native user experience through a more efficient, hybrid development approach.
Our customers see a host of benefits when building hybrid mobile apps on Mendix:
- 6x higher productivity – our visual modeling and business logic capabilities speed mobile app development, delivering 6 times higher productivity than traditional programming methods
- Unparalleled flexibility – easily collect feedback, iterate, and redeploy your apps as changes are required. Our platform enables rapid change so that your business can stay agile within the market.
- Reduced overhead – simplify cross-platform development, mobile back-end services and integration within one cloud platform to reduce infrastructure costs and improve speed of delivery.
- Higher quality mobile apps – our integrated collaboration and feedback tools increase project success rates through greater IT-business collaboration. Build sophisticated and appealing apps that are highly focused on solving business problems, not technical details.