What is a Platform as a Service and how do I choose the right one?
What is Platform as a Service?
Platform as a service (PaaS) is a category within cloud computing that offers application infrastructure capabilities as cloud services. It improves the speed and ease of application delivery by abstracting away from technical components. There are many variations within platform as a service, covering services that speed provisioning or deployment to model-driven services that remove the technical burden of coding.
Understanding cloud application development and PaaS functionality
PaaS reduces the cost and complexity of managing infrastructure so that users can focus on improving the application delivery process. These services are ideal for any organization in need of greater agility within IT. However, not all platforms are created equal or meant for the same user.
Before selecting an application platform as a service, make sure that you understand the differences within functionality across providers. There are three core differences in PaaS capabilities that correlate to the three types of developers within organizations. These developers differ in the depth of control they need and want. Consider the following developer segments before selecting a platform as a service that’s right for your team.
- Rapid developers prefer modeling applications rather than coding applications. They value high-productivity over control and expect a platform that speeds overall app delivery.
- Traditional coders prefer to program but do not want to waste time managing the underlying infrastructure. They value productivity in terms of provisioning and deploying apps, but want to control their code.
- DevOps professionals prefer to control server and database configurations and may even want access to network and storage configurations. They value control over productivity savings.
A model-driven platform as a service, also known as an application platform as a service, provides the highest level of abstraction within this category. Ideal for the rapid developer segment, these platforms enable users to model an application in a human-readable form, reducing the complexity of and the turnaround time for custom development. Find out how Mendix’s model-driven platform as a service can help you deliver apps faster than ever before.
Enable more people with Mendix’s model-driven platform as a service
Mendix’s model-driven, low-code platform as a service offers visual building blocks for users to orchestrate their application, rather than build through traditional coding languages. By eliminating the reliance on coding, IT teams can empower more individuals across the organization to participate in the development process. With an increase in developer talent, IT teams can also increase the volume of applications delivered across the business.
In addition to visual modeling tools, Mendix provides a host of other abstraction services:
- A vibrant marketplace of pre-built apps, widgets, templates and components to enable greater reuse from project to project
- One-click deployment to any public, private, or hybrid cloud environment
- A complete technology stack for scalable and cost effective provisioning and monitoring
- Project management, social collaboration and closed-loop feedback mechanisms to enhance communication across stakeholders and enable ‘first-time right’ development
True value comes when businesses leverage a platform that enables rapid results across all facets of the application lifecycle. Learn more about Mendix’s model-driven platform as a service.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any company that allows users to develop and manage applications on cloud infrastructure is a PaaS company. Mendix is one such company, specifically aPaaS.
Database PaaS refers to any platform that specifically manages databases on cloud infrastructure. Mendix applications utilizes a SQL database which is created and managed by the platform. The platform also supports third-party database integration.
Examples of PaaS services might include platforms to build and manage applications, database management and business processing management that run on cloud infrastructure.