Low-Code Development: Building Blocks for the Future
Low-Code Development: Building Blocks for the Future by Roshnee Shah
The rallying cries of the business world today seem to be: Adapt and thrive and scale or fail! So, how are many industry leaders finding their success? With low-code development.
To build enterprise applications that scale, you need a holistic, long-term vision of the company. At the same time, adaptability is critical if you’re going to meet the ever-changing demands of the market. Organizations need to be one step ahead of customer expectations. Just because banking customers don’t expect to transfer cryptocurrency into their bank accounts at the click of a button, it doesn’t mean they won’t a year from now.
Accomplishing that level of agility is a lot easier with a low-code development solution. And it’s not just about evolving from a new-tech perspective. Growth comes into play as well. For example, an app you use to manage CapX at your organization might get the job done today, but if your company acquires five businesses in the next two years, that app may be woefully lacking and unable to handle a sharp increase in usage.
Read on to discover how low-code app development can help you adapt, scale, and embrace future opportunities.
Laying the foundation
Low-code provides a visual approach to rapid application development, making software development more accessible. With low-code, developers can select the functional components they need for their app from an on-screen library and drag and drop them into a visual workflow. These easy-to-use building blocks replace time-consuming hand-coding, enabling IT users to quickly and efficiently assemble workflows and business apps.
Since developers can abstract and automate every step of the application life cycle, low-code breaks down traditional silos of business and IT, promoting continuous collaboration so that your organization can develop solutions that meet the needs of your employees and customers.
Building adaptable, scalable solutions
Low-code is no longer an emerging technology with potential. Today, it’s a proven tool with proven results, and it’s paving the way to the future. In fact, it’s projected that by 2024, 75% of large enterprises will be using at least four low-code development tools for both IT application development and citizen development initiatives.
With its ability to reduce complexity, low-code app development brings many benefits to the table. Here’s how low-code development supports adaptable and scalable solutions:
- Teams are empowered to bring more products to market faster. With its boilerplate nature, low-code reduces mundane tasks that slow your business’s momentum, allowing your internal team to build apps in a matter of weeks rather than outsourcing to a developer. Making an app is also significantly easier. In fact, teams can even make an app directly from a spreadsheet. Baked-in collaboration tools enable faster decision-making within cross-functional teams to help products get to market faster.
- Customers are met where they’re at, which helps to grow your brand. Whether you’re optimizing your website for mobile or building a digital self-service portal, low-code app development helps you meet customers’ needs and design a platform that they will love to visit—and revisit.
- Costs and operations are streamlined to reserve budget for when you need it most. By reducing the need for traditional programming efforts, such as hand-coding, low-code app development helps you maximize operational and cost efficiency. Having the ability to scale for the future means you can save money on technology and equipment as well as avoid the time-consuming process of acquiring, implementing, and maintaining new technology. The time and funds you save can be put toward making a big marketing splash for a product launch or other strategic initiatives.
- More apps can be built at scale without incurring heavy costs. Incorporating new technology into your existing footprint can be tricky and expensive, but low-code platforms offer scalable architectures and the ability to extend platform capabilities with open APIs for reusability. They’re also very compatible with wider enterprise IT systems and simpler to incorporate than other solutions.
- Growth is fast-tracked and agile. Low-code grants developers increased control in application testing as well as quality and performance tooling. Developers can respond to their business’s needs by creating a variety of low-code solutions ranging from process animation apps to mission-critical systems modernization, enabling their team to stay proactive, agile, and future-proof without breaking anything.
When it comes to efficiency and speed to market, low-code’s capabilities are undeniable. It powers innovation, allows companies to build simple solutions that are easy to scale on cloud-native architecture, and helps teams anticipate and respond to the changing demands of the market.
Ensuring a flexible solution for innovation
Agility and scalability are critical, but how will you know when you have a flexible solution? Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the platform adaptable?
- Will it grow with you as you take on more customers?
- Does it empower your employees and end users?
If you keep these questions in mind when you’re selecting your low-code development platform, you can find a winning solution that will help you stay competitive in the digital era.