5 Questions to Ask about Building and Enabling Your Mendix Team
The one question that I get asked without fail from every prospective, new, or existing client is: how do I staff this project? Most organizations with existing IT and development teams usually have an idea of the individuals they want to participate in any given project, but there are several key questions to ask before kicking things off.
1. What is the profile of a Mendix developer?
The Mendix Platform has seen great success with individuals from varied backgrounds and skillsets. However, certain attributes of prospective Mendix developers always shine through, which are a great starting point for finding the right talent for your team:
- A good understanding of business needs and the ability to see ‘the big picture’ when delivering software projects
- A solid understanding of all of the tiers of software development (database, middleware, business logic, UI) and SDLC (requirements, developing, testing, releasing)
- A passion to deliver software applications that the business wants to use and sees the value in the end product
- An open mind to new technologies and willingness to learn and expand skillsets
2. How many people should be trained?
This is always subjective to the prospective project, existing team size, and realistic staffing models. If there are several projects in mind, these factors will help you pinpoint the initial team to be trained:
- Any developers that will be contributing to the project
- More tech-savvy Business Analysts that will contribute on the project, as they usually end up contributing in many new ways
- Software Architect, as they are ultimately responsible for design and any integration work
How much training does the team need?
We encourage that all project participants become Mendix Rapid Developers, by taking the Mendix Introduction Course and passing the certification exam. Those team members that excel and continue to improve should take the Mendix Advanced Course and Mendix Advanced Developer certification exam. As this course and test are much more difficult, we look to tailor it to move quickly and cover a lot of material. Outside of these courses and certifications, Mendix also offers a series of workshops to improve team skills in:
- System Administration
- Agile Methodologies
Should Mendix resources be leveraged in order to deliver the project?
I strongly recommend that Mendix plays a part of the initial project or two to put solution architecture in place, co-develop with the newly trained team, and even help project manage the project delivery if the team is new to Agile methodologies. The amount of assistance from the Mendix team always varies, but with a strong team of varied backgrounds, there is always a good fit for the project at hand. Mendix Expert Services have deep knowledge of not only the Mendix Platform, but also areas such as integration, java development, UI/UX, system administration, and project management.
What if I need to hire full-time resources to augment the team/create a Mode 2 team?
As all organizations have to find the right balance to deliver new software projects, this is something that Mendix is able to assist in several ways:
- Look internally for any potential team members that would be a good fit for full-time Mendix development
- Collaborate on a job requisition that caters to the skillsets of Mendix developers and assist in the interviewing and vetting of potential candidates
- Work closely with a certified Mendix partner for staff augmentation on longer engagements and strategic initiatives
- Use the Mendix community job board to post openings and attract seasoned full-time and contract Mendix developers in the field
All of the above questions play heavily into the kick-off and ultimate success of a project. As you embark on developing with Mendix and building out an internal competency, use these questions to help align initiatives with the right team and strategy for execution.
For more insight, check out this post from Mendix co-founder Roald Kruit on how to organize your first Mendix team.
You need to act now before market conditions change or competition wins out. Download this eBook: The Essentials of Digital Innovation and learn the essentials of driving digital innovation, including how you can create a faster path to transform ideas into winning solutions.