Understanding Application Platform as a Service (aPaas)
What is Application Platform as a Service?
An application platform as a service refers to a cloud environment for designing, building, deploying and managing custom business applications. In simpler terms, it’s a single platform that enables speed, collaboration and control across the entire application lifecycle.
The Advantages of an aPaaS
Application platform as a service (aPaaS) solutions enable rapid application development and delivery. Many platform as a service providers streamline application provisioning and deployment, but don’t address the sluggishness of coding apps in the first place. The right aPaaS brings abstraction and automation to the complete application lifecycle, providing a faster way to build apps.
These features include:
- Visual, model-driven development for building apps in fast, iterative cycles
- One-click deployment to the public cloud, private cloud or on premises
- Reusable app components for composing the necessary building blocks versus reinventing the wheel each project
- Social collaboration tools and feedback loops that help teams get requirements right the first time and delight users
Learn more about rapid application development through Mendix’s application platform as a service.
Mendix’s Application Platform as a Service (aPaaS)
Mendix’s application platform as a service allows users to rapidly build applications using visual models. The platform also offers pre-built templates and widgets, one-click cloud deployment, and cloud-based app management functionality to further speed the delivery of custom applications. By supporting speed and agility across the entire application lifecycle, Mendix users reap a host of benefits, including:
- Reduced time to market by condensing project duration by 50%
- Increased staff productivity by reducing development effort by 70%
- Enhanced IT resourcing across more projects with teams that are 60% smaller
- Improved business-IT collaboration that produces higher quality applications
Find out why Mendix was named a leader among application platform as a service providers. Learn more about Mendix’s platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any cloud based application development service falls under the category of aPaaS. For example, Mendix is a low-code application platform that entirely runs off cloud infrastructure.
PaaS or Platform as a Service, refers to any cloud-based middleware, including BPM, messaging apps and other tools. aPaaS or Application Platform as a Service refers specifically to PaaS platforms specialized in cloud-based application development.
One of the main benefits of developing applications on the cloud is that the platform can be accessed wherever there is an internet connection, regardless of device type or specs.
While pricing models vary between aPaaS providers, many use the number of apps or users to set a monthly fee. Platforms like Mendix also provide a free version, empowering individuals and organizations to test the development platform.